ROFFEKE OFFICIAL SELECTION 2023 (Partial Listing)

ROFFEKE OFFICIAL SELECTION 2023 (Partial Listing)
Click laurels to watch the playlist.

ROFFEKE OFFICIAL SELECTIONS 2021

ROFFEKE OFFICIAL SELECTIONS 2020

ROFFEKE is proud to partner with Additude Africa

ROFFEKE is proud to partner with Additude Africa
"Additude Africa promotes time credits as a means of encouraging the youth to be involved in community building activities in order to add a new dimension in their lives and make a positive contribution to their communities."

ROFFEKE is proud to partner with ipitch.tv

ROFFEKE is proud to partner with ipitch.tv
"Looking for a way to pitch your idea for a television show or movie? Ipitch.tv offers a next generation platform for creators of original ptiches for TV, film and digital media to connect directly with Hollywood producers and studio executives."

ROFFEKE Values

ROFFEKE Values
Friendship (networking), Fun (experimentation), Freedom (purpose, empowering, transparency)

SUBMIT YOUR FILM TO ROFFEKE!


ROFFEKE logo by Jozie of Kenyan band 'Murfy's Flaw'

ROFFEKE is a member of the Universal Film and Festival Organization

Featured Post

Comments on "The ABC of ROFFEKE" Screenings (September 2015 at iHub)

I liked all the films especially the one for Superman [“This is Joe”] and the last one which was longer [“ Frontman ”]. I look forward to at...

The Indie Bible

Monday, January 2, 2023

Interview: Riker Lynch - writer, director, actor, producer of "Aliens on Halloween"

ROFFEKE: I really enjoyed watching your interview on Hollywood Approved (Episode 7). You said: “I do a lot of improvisation with my actors and I let people take the words and throw them out and put their own little vibes on it.” One of my favourite fun scenes (and “Aliens on Halloween” is full of fun scenes!) is the one where Titus Makin Jr.’s character meets the aliens. How much of that fun dialogue was from your script and how much was Titus just putting his unique spin on it?

RIKER: This is one of my favorite scenes too. Just trying not to laugh while we were filming made it even funnier. Titus is an incredible actor and he’s always working on something whether it be film, TV, or music. We were lucky enough to have him for a few hours in his busy schedule so I basically told him the lines do not matter. I really only needed him to mention “Halloween" and establish that he’s the owner of the house. I had written the character to be one of those people that just talk a lot and fast and don’t really listen and Titus was absolutely hilarious. I would say 90% was total improv. We did 2 takes and cut together the best of the best. It was all so good Gordy and I had a ton of fun working on that scene in the editing room.

ROFFEKE: You also said: “I put my friends’ music in it…I sent them texts, ‘Hey I’m doing this movie. Can I use your music?” What criteria did you use to pick the songs? Was it the lyrics? The vibe? The genre?

RIKER: I pretty much just went with the friends of mine that had songs that fit the vibe that I was going for. I’m great friends with the band New Beat Fund and their song Halloween Birthdaze was obviously a perfect fit. On a small-budget short film like this, you’re kind of looking for anyone who will give you permission to use their work as a favor so I knew all my friends would help me out in that regard. I’m very fortunate to have very talented friends in the music industry. 

ROFFEKE: You said about Ted Lasso: “…I think is the greatest show to ever touch television because we all need this in our lives, we all need this energy and this positivity…I want to spread as much optimism and positive energy as possible…” Apart from “Aliens on Halloween” - which I think definitely does spread optimism and positive energy -  and your various creative and artistic ventures, how else do you spread optimism and positive energy?”

RIKER: I do my best to just be an uplifting spirit in whatever I’m doing. To radiate enthusiasm and positivity everywhere I go. My music is a big part of that because I believe music can change your mood almost quicker than anything. My latest song “Remedy" is all about being the remedy for someone who’s having a tough time. I hope my music can have a positive impact on people’s spirits. 

ROFFEKE: Your top three memories from your 2016 Safari in Kenya?

RIKER: Oh that’s tough to pick. The whole thing was truly amazing. I was there with my four brothers and my dad. The first game drive early in the morning was just so surreal because I really didn’t know what to expect and seeing all these amazing animals up close in person is so spectacular. We saw a ton of elephants on our first day. 

Another time we saw a momma lion playing with her cub. That was so cool. We were in a jeep-like truck with no doors and we kept getting closer and closer to watch them and at one point the cub kind of wanders closer to us and gave us a little baby roar. He walks on and then the mom gets very close to us and I remember our safari guide says, “just stay calm and don’t look her in the eye.” I could’ve reached out and touched her, she was THAT close. Did I mention there were no doors in our truck? Such powerful animals.

We also got to play some music for these kids in one of the tribes there. I’m not sure if that’s correctly how I should describe them but they were such lovely humans. They were very interested in our guitars. This was back in 2016 so my band R5 was still going strong and we played “All Night” and “Dark Side” for them.

ROFFEKE: I interviewed Gordy De St. Jeor (director of The Thrill), who was also part of “Aliens on Halloween” and happens to be your cousin. He gave a thought-provoking answer to my question about whether the artist’s struggle is worth it. Please comment on, add to (or even dispute) his answer:

RIKER: Gordy is so talented. I’m so fortunate to be able to collaborate with him. He’s someone I deeply care about. Not only family but one of my greatest friends. 

I totally understand his view on the struggle. For me, the “why do I do this” well it’s because I believe it is my purpose on this planet and in this life to bring people joy through film, television, music, through stories. And on the "struggle for the art", I don’t really feel that I have a real “struggle” or sacrifice I guess. Sure I feel struggle if I’m stuck on a scene or a line or I’m not feeling inspired but that’s all part of the process. I love the quote, “Nature never hurries but everything is accomplished.” I really believe in that and I’ve also come to simply enjoy the journey that is life. There is no destination, it’s all about the journey, and part of the journey is going to be struggling. I know that. And it’s ok. Part of the journey is also going to be the most magical thing you’ve ever experienced. At the end of the day no matter how much struggle there is, I love what I do and I feel so grateful I get to do what I do. 

Hollywood Approved - Episode 7



No comments: